How to Wear Your Highlandwear
If you have never worn a highland outfit before then the prospect can be a daunting
one - especially if you are not familiar with each individual accessory.
To make the process as easy as possible, we would suggest that you put the garments
on in the following order:
- Start with the shirt
- Then put on your hose, flashes and skean dhu. (The skean dhu should be worn
inside the sock on the leg opposite to which ever hand you write with e.g. right
sock if you are left handed and left sock if you are right handed)Please note that
we provide safety skean dhu’s with each hire.
- Next you should put on your Ghillie Brogues. These are tied by knotting at the
ankle then twisting a couple of times and winding round to the back of the calf.
The laces are then brought round to the front to fasten in a conventional bow.
- The kilt should be worn with the pleats at the back and fastened around the stomach
( approx. 2” above the waist and in line with your navel). Bear in mind that each
kilt has adjustable straps which you can fasten as loosely or tightly as desired.
The kilts are all made from 13oz, 100% pure new wool.
- After the kilt, you should put on the sporran. The sporran and chain will arrive
with you separately - clip the chain to the sporran (using the loops on the back
of the sporran) and then fasten the sporran around your waist. The sporran should
sit approximately 4 - 5 finger widths from the top of the kilt The sporran should
be positioned centrally, in line with your waistcoat and jacket buttons (once you
have put these on. Remember that when you are eating or dancing the sporran
should be worn to the side for comfort.
- If you are wearing a belt with your outfit this should now be put on. The belts
have a velcro fastening making them easy to adjust. Traditionally a belt is not
worn if you are wearing a waistcoat, however many people prefer to wear a belt and
therefore one has been provided with your hire.
- The next garment to be put on is the waistcoat (if you are wearing one) followed
by the jacket. If you are wearing a waistcoat and jacket, then the jacket should
be left open.The waistcoat has an adjustable strap at the back so that it can be
loosened or tighten for comfort
- Last but not least your neckwear Again our neckwear has adjustable straps so
that you can tighten or loosen it as required.